[Pw_forum] Negative freuqencies for extrapolating points

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:41:53 CEST 2016

I am aware of other cases in which acoustic phonon frequencies close to q=0
behave in a funny way. It happens in very small regions and resists to
standard attempts (increasing convergence etc.) to get rid of it. No
explanation and no fix available for now.

Paolo

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Elio Physics <Elio-Physics at live.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I have calculated the frequencies for a structure. All frequencies were
> positive except for a few "extrapolated" points very close to the Gamma
> point which were negative in the range of -1.45 cm^-1. Due to this the
> dispersion curve near the Gamma point looked a bit funny (but looks pretty
> good elsewhere).  I tried the calculations with 2 different phonon grids.
> Any reason why this is happening? Do i have to lower  tr2_ph more (it is
> already 10^(-19)!)
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Elio
>
> Fed Uni of Rondonia
> Brazil

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222