[Pw_forum] vc-relax total energy increases at the last step

Anand Chandra anandc88 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:56:53 CEST 2016

Dear Amir,

This question has been asked a couple of times I think. Kindly search the
forum first. For example see link below.

http://qe-forge.org/pipermail/pw_forum/2011-April/094661.html

For such a large change in energy in the last step I am guessing first of
all that your ecutwfc/ecutrho are not converged. Either that or your cell
shape/volume changed too drastically.

You need to restart the calculation with the final atomic coordinates and
cell parameters in a new "from_scratch" run. But first converge your
ecutrho/ecutwfc in a normal scf type run.

Regards,
Anand C.
Post-doctoral researcher
Materials Theory and Simulation Group
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India