[Pw_forum] Using molecularpdos.x for adsorption on metal-doped graphene

Guido Fratesi fratesi at mater.unimib.it
Wed Aug 10 13:25:03 CEST 2016

Dear Rolly,

let me try to expand a bit my previous concise answers to your questions
(Q1-Q2):

As it is implemented, molecularpdos.x needs the two systems (full &
part) to be described by the very same parameters as of:
(1) unit cell dimensions
(2) k-point sampling
(3) number spin populations considered
(4) dimension of the localized basis set (atomic functions)

In principle, such close correspondence could be avoided in some cases
like where your reference (i.e., part) system is an isolated molecule.
Its states could be computed at the gamma point for a cell of your
choice, then the Bloch states (as would be obtained by computing them
for the same cell as for the full system) could be reconstructed
analytically. This is not implemented so far, so an explicit calculation
with the very same k-grid is needed (I generally copy the k-points as
given in output by pw.x for the full system).

Similarly, the spin-up states of the full system will be projected on
the spin-up states of the part (same for spin down); this requires you
to make a calculation with nspin=2 (but no magnetization) also when the
molecule by itself is not spin-polarized if it is embedded in a
spin-polarized system.

Smearing / not smearing is not relevant to molecularpdos.x : just use
the one adequate to each of the two calculations (full & part).

As for the dimension of the localized basis set, molecularpdos.x assumes
that the atomic orbitals of the full & part calculation correspond 1-1
to each other, keeping the same order. The range of the orbitals to be
considered is specified by input variables
i_atmwfc_{beg,end}_{full,part} so the atoms to be considered have to be
consecutive and listed in the same order in the full & part systems.
BEWARE (common mistake) this range specifies the atomic wavefunctions
(see the output of projwfc.x for a list), not the atoms. You may want to
add atoms to the "part" calculation, e.g., add H to saturate a dangling
bond: in that case, just do not include the corresponding atomic states
in the range for molecularpdos.x.

Hope this helps,
Guido

--