[Pw_forum] TurboEELS for core-loss spectra

Timrov Iurii iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Fri Apr 15 10:06:25 CEST 2016

Dear Joshua,

The turboEELS code was originally developed to compute valence-loss spectra. If you are interested in the excitations of the semi-core or core electrons, you need to have a pseudopotential which includes those states. From my experience, I computed EELS for some materials with two types of pseudopotentials, one including semi-core states and the other without them, and I saw peaks in the spectra corresponding to the excitations of the semi-core electrons only when they were included in the pseudopotential.

To study the core loss spectra, you probably can try to use other techniques, e.g. you can have a look in this paper:
J. A. Soininen, A. L. Ankudinov, and J. J. Rehr, Phys. Rev. B 72, 045136 (2005)

HTH

Best regards,
Iurii

--