[Pw_forum] mos2

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Wed Apr 6 21:15:59 CEST 2016

Dear Ashkan,

   First on your band structures, apparently you have aligned the zero of
energy, on the vertical axis, somewhat differently. But overall, maybe
they are correct. I guess that in the "super-cell" you refer the k points
(Gamma, M, K) to the corresponding reciprocal lattice vectors, so that
actually M_sc = 1/2 M_uc. And at K_sc you obtain the same gap as at K_uc,
because the latter is actually K'_sc; shortly, K = (1/3,1/3,0) and K' =
(-1/3,-1/3,0) = (2/3,2/3,0) (in units of the reciprocal lattice vectors),
and since K_sc = 1/2 K_uc, also K'_sc = 1/2 K'_uc = K_sc. It might need a
bit of drawing hexagons, before this become clear. :)

   Back-folding, since in a super-cell your lattice vectors in real space
are longer, in reciprocal space they are correspondingly shorter (let us
call them b1_sc and b2_sc). And since you have the periodicity also in the
reciprocal space, the Brillouin zone is smaller and you have for
example many more "Gamma points", Gamma_sc, in the original Brillouin
zone of the "unit cell". So for example in your case, 2x2, b1_sc = 1/2
b1_uc = M_uc. So you should obtain the same bands in the super-cell at the
point Gamma_sc as M_uc. Thus I would see the bands at ca -1.6 and -2.1 eV
at M_uc as the bands -1.3 and -1.7 eV at Gamma_sc. The band beginning at
Gamma_uc and going toward 1/2 K_uc, that is also seen Gamma_sc-K_sc. And
so on. But not only those, you see more bands because of the two
two-dimensionality of your band structure.

   But to start understanding back-folding I would start by looking at a
band structure in one dimension: You can take for example a cos(k)
function, which mimics the dispersion of the s-type band (one can look up
in a solid-state book why so). When you double the real-space unit cell,
you can divide the reciprocal unit cell, so you cut the band at mid-point
between the minimum at Gamma and maximum at X (if that is 1/2 b, you
reciprocal lattice vector, or if you want to call it "M") and "fold it
back", going away from the 1/2 X point toward Gamma again but with the
same energy dependence as before: e(k) = e(X-k). Thus you get two bands in
the new Brillouin zone, and they have the same energy at the point 1/2 X.
Or you can go through the exercise of having a super-cell consisting of
two atoms in the real-space cell, and when you make the atoms as
identical, the band structure will be as the one of the super-cell,
naturally.

   Well, this is certainly much more clearly explained in some text books
or lecture notes. :)

     Greetings,

        apsi

PS Indeed, I would also learn how to use a consistent alignment of
energies in the case of periodic systems with a band gap. Hint: Either
mid-gap or top of valence band as the reference

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
     Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
     Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935