[Pw_forum] magnetic anisotropy calculation using fully-relativistic PPs

BARRETEAU Cyrille cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Sun Sep 13 09:19:33 CEST 2015

Hi Yun-Peng

If your objective is really to determine quantitatively the value of the magnetic anisotropy I think that it is an impossible task to get a precision of 0.01meV!!!

Already below 0.1meV it is quite delicate but 0.01meV is just hopeless!

Good luck
Cyrille

========================
Cyrille Barreteau
CEA Saclay, IRAMIS, SPEC Bat. 771
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, FRANCE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DTU Nanotech
Ørsteds Plads, building 345E
DK-2800 Kgs. Lyngby,  DENMARK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+33 1 69 08 29 51 /+33  6 47 53 66 52  (mobile)   (Fr)
+45    45 25 63 12/ +45     28 72 55 18  (mobile)  (Dk)
email:     cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr  /cyrbar at nanotech.dtu.dk
Web:     http://iramis.cea.fr/Pisp/cyrille.barreteau/
========================
________________________________
Since magnetic anisotropy energy is very small (~0.01 meV per atom in my system), do I need to use higher cutoff energies to account for such small energy scale?

best,
Yun-Peng

On 09/12/2015 03:30 PM, BARRETEAU Cyrille wrote:
Dear Yun-Peng,

>From experience I can just say that calculation using fully-relativistic PP can be really difficult to converge and sometimes almost impossible to achieve the desired accuracy (especially since magneto-crystalline anisotropy requires very strict convergence thresholds). You can play with broadening and k points sampling.

Cyrille

email:     cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr<mailto:cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr>  /cyrbar at nanotech.dtu.dk<mailto:cyrbar at nanotech.dtu.dk>