[Pw_forum] Raman and IR spectra

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Thu Oct 29 23:24:13 CET 2015

Dear Gul and Eduardo et co,

   Just from the physical point of view, the problem is that if the photon
energy in the experiment is larger than the band (or HOMO-LUMO, in a
molecule) gap the electronic excitations are also possible, and not only
the phonon scattering. Therefore the non-resonant formalism implemented in
QE is no longer valid. The resonant Raman is then much more difficult a
problem to handle; if you want to see some nice attempts to treat it
appropriately, see for example the recent publications of Francesco Mauri
and co-workers on the topic (in graphene at least).

   Whether the Raman signal _can_ be calculated using the non-resonant
formalism when there is no band gap or the HOMO is half-occupied is
another thing, which I do not want to attempt to answer here - yes, it
will give it a number, but I am not qualified to say whether it has
anything to do with the physical reality. :)

     Greetings from Rabat,

        apsi

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
   Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
   Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935