[Pw_forum] Raman and IR spectra

Eduardo Menendez eariel99 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 13:22:25 CET 2015

I do not see an obvious impossibility to calculate the IR and Raman
spectrum of a cluster made of metal elements. A cluster is not a metal,
just treat it like a molecule. A metal is a periodic quasi-infinite crystal
with zero gap between occupied and empty levels.

If the cluster  has an open shell configuration , i.e., the HOMO is
partiallly occupied, then it may not be possible to calculate IR and Raman
with QE. However, if this were the case, the cluster would probably
undergone a distortion (Jahn Teller effect) and will open a gap.

Eduardo Menendez Proupin
Departamento de Fisica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile

“No cometerás actos impuros ni publicarás en revistas open-acces”

-