[Pw_forum] slab Ewald sum quantum espresso

Oliviero Andreussi oliviero.andreussi at usi.ch
Mon Oct 12 15:03:56 CEST 2015

Dear Niels,

I am probably not the most suited to answer and, probably, the best
mailing list to address this problem is the qe-developers one
(q-e-developers at qe-forge.org). Moreover, it is not fully clear to me
what you are planning to do (Ewald sum is only part of the electrostatic
energy of the system, the other relevant one being the Hartree term, are
you proposing a 2D version of that as well? or you include all
electrostatic under the Ewald label? or you refer to something else...),
so I apologize in advance if I got it wrong.

On my side, I have been working with reduced dimensionality systems and
I have been (recently) implementing the 2D and 1D version of the
Martyna-Tuckermann correction schemes (Mináry, P., Tuckerman, M. E.,
Pihakari, K. A., & Martyna, G. J. (2002) The Journal of Chemical
Physics, 116(13), 5351–5362. http://doi.org/10.1063/1.1453397). I
haven't committed anything yet, as I am still debugging the code, but I
plan to make it public as soon as everything is sound.

On the other hand, I have also implemented some quadratic correction
schemes (for 0D and 2D systems, some details in Andreussi, O., &
Marzari, N. (2014). Electrostatics of solvated systems in periodic
boundary conditions. Physical Review B, 90(24), 245101.
http://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.90.245101) inside the Environ module
that we are developing, www.quantum-environment.org.

I guess any new fully working (and maintained) feature would be a plus
for the code, even if there are already similar things under development.

Best,

Oliviero Andreussi

Senior Postdoctoral Associate

École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and

Università della Svizzera Italiana (USI) of Lugano

Switzerland