[Pw_forum] Applying a perpendicular Electric Field

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at mpsd.mpg.de
Fri Nov 20 15:51:39 CET 2015

Dear Bahadır,

the input file seems to be OK. Nevertheless, you always have to test in
the end
that no charge is spilling into the vacuum because the sawtooth function is
creating an artificial potential minimum. Do this by plotting to total
potential
(pp.x, plot_num=1) for example as 3D data file and using average.x to
average
over the in-plane directions. If charge is spilling the potential is not
linear in the
vacuum region or shows other weird behavior. In this case you have to reduce
the vacuum region in order to reduce the depth of the artificial
minimum. This
on the other hand can lead (for too large electric fields) to a vacuum
region
which is too small, i.e., leading to interactions between the repeated
slabs.

The wrong gap you get can be due to anything - your initial input file
was just
wrong. The sawtooth within the slab itself is an unphysical situation.

Regards

Thomas

P.S.: You're using an ultrasoft pseudopotential. In such cases ecutrho
needs to
be larger than just 4 times ecutwfc. More like 10 times... Which is also
stated in
the documentation...

--
Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Brumme
Max Planck Institute for the Structure and Dynamics of Matter

Tel:  +49 (0)40 8998 6557

email: Thomas.Brumme at mpsd.mpg.de