[Pw_forum] SCF_PARALLEL

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Nov 6 22:42:58 CET 2015

you can try to figure out what's happening looking to

  - the way the processors are split in the various parallelization
scheme (npool, nband,ntask, ndiag). this is written at the beginning of
the output. openmp parallelization can also be enabled. it does not
always help.
  - the dimensions  of your system (number of bands, number of
planevawes, fft grid dimensions).
  - the time spent in the different routines, including the parallel
communication time. this is given at the end of your output and depends
on the speed and latency of the interconnection between processors.

A concern in the calculation might be the available RAM memory. If the
code starts swapping it's going to get very slow.

Another concern is the I/O to disk that is generally slow and even
slower in parallel. Always use local scratch areas, never write on a
remote disk.
Possibly don't write at all.

stefano