[Pw_forum] work function of Metal transition metal oxide.

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Tue May 19 10:26:04 CEST 2015

you are calculating the electronic properties of the interface between ZnO and Au(111), using an hexagonal lattice with lattice parameter 6.1413449010 au ~ 3.25 A, that is the gold film is strained so as to match the ZnO lattice parameter. The work function of gold calculated from first principles is about 5.1-5.2 eV, but with that strain it reduces to about 4.98 eV (see Table 2 of  J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 27 (2015) 015006), which is exactly what you get. So, reverting back to your question (why if I remove some O’s in the ZnO slab nothing changes?), it could be that the Fermi level is pinned by the metal slab, so even if you do induce changes within the ZnO, the Au film does not change its properties and you always “measure” the same work function (namely, distance between the pinned Fermi level and the potential in the vacuum at the Au side).

So, I suggest you to get help from available literature and textbooks on Schottky (metal-semiconductor) barriers and Fermi level pinning mechanisms, to understand the relevant properties of your system.

You might check if this answer makes sense by removing all the Zn and O atoms from your unit cell, and recalculating the work function. Likely, you’ll not see any change!

Hope this helps,

    Giovanni

e-mail: giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Phone: +39 081 676910