[Pw_forum] why do we relax a system

Mojtaba Mirseraji quantum.pwscf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 17:27:00 CET 2015

Hi UTO

In general, we have to relax the structure and achieve the minimum
energy and near the zero pressure!
Because this relaxed structure is the best choice for the rest of
research and it is different from experimental reports due to some
approximations such as DFT, XC functionals and ...!!!!
Relaxed structures and their atomic positions are needed for future
calculations (like DOS, PDOS, Band Structures, .....)

Regards

Mojtaba Mirseraji
Ph.D Candidate
Physics Group