[Pw_forum] Question on environ

Oliviero Andreussi oliviero.andreussi at usi.ch
Thu Jul 2 17:22:01 CEST 2015

Dear Dra. Verónica M. Sánchez,

The environ.in file seems fine to me, the way you set it up will
correspond to no environment effects (vacuum), but I guess you will use
the values in parenthesis for the real calculations in solution. If that
is the case, you may want to try using only the dielectric part
(env_static_permittivity=79) or the whole contributions (thus plus
env_surface_tension = 50 and env_pressure = -0.35) which were fitted to
reproduce non-electrostatic effects in solvation free energies of
organic molecules. I am not sure why you didn't include env_pressure in
your input file (if non-electrostatic is not important, then I would
also skip the env_surface_tension part).

Having said this, assume_isolated = 'slabz' should work also for an
isolated molecule, but will only remove periodicity along the z axis.
Since the full calculation and the one on the surface alone are done
with this correction I would say this is the most consistent way to go
(but you could always double-check by increasing the cell size, just to
be sure you don't have periodicity artifacts).

You are right that assume_isolated = 'pcc' will not work for non-cubic
cells, and in general it is not necessary to use it, since makov-payne
gives similar results and is cheaper.

Please, feel free to ask more questions (even directly to my email
address) if you find any problem with running the calculation or with
the code. BTW, the current release of Environ only works with QE-5.1.1
and QE-5.1.2, not yet with the most recent release of QE-5.2. There will
be a new release of Environ soon, that will be compatible (and have some
new features, including the possibility to restart a calculation) soon.

Best,

Oliviero Andreussi