[Pw_forum] a few frequencies in PHONON calculation

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Dec 24 15:17:05 CET 2015

Dear Eduardo,
   I don't know whether the code can perform what you want.
   I think that with some coding one can instruct the code to compute
only the irreducible representations (all of them) corresponding to a
given symmetry (for a low symmetry system not much to gain from this,
I'm afraid).
   Alternatively one can only move a few atoms (in all directions) and
if the mode that is searched is localized on those atoms a reasonable
approximation for its frequency can be obtained. This might be
appropriate to study vibrational modes of a light adsorbate on a heavy
substrate, and maybe in some other particular situations.
   I don't know how last_irr works but I think it's more a way to break
a long calculation in many smaller chunks rather than a way to perform
partial calculations. The code has no way to know which pattern you
would be interested in.

stefano