[Pw_forum] default parallelization and parallelization of bands.x

Maxim Skripnik maxim.skripnik at uni-konstanz.de
Sat Dec 5 12:57:13 CET 2015

Thank you for the information. Yes, at the beginning of the pw.x output it says:
     Parallel version (MPI), running on    64 processors
     R & G space division:  proc/nbgrp/npool/nimage =      64

Is bands.x parallelized at all? If so, where can I find information on that? There's nothing mentioned in the documentation:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/pp_user_guide.pdf
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_BANDS.html

What could be the reason for bands.x taking many hours to calculate the bands? The foregoing pw.x calculation has already determined the energy for each k-point along a path (Gamma -> K -> M -> Gamma). There are 61 k-points and 129 bands. So what is bands.x actaully doing beside reformating that data? The input file job.bands looks like this:
 &bands
    prefix   = 'st1'
    outdir   = './tmp'
/