[Pw_forum] default parallelization and parallelization of bands.x

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Dec 5 02:37:06 CET 2015

On 04/12/2015 22:53, Maxim Skripnik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a bit confused by the parallelization scheme of QE. First of all,
> I run calculations on a cluster with usually 1 to 8 nodes, each of
> which has 16 cores. There is a very good scaling of pw.x e.g. for
> structural relaxation jobs. I do not specify any particular
> parallelization scheme as mentioned in the documentation, i.e. I start
> the calculations with
> mpirun -np 128 pw.x < job.pw
> on 8 nodes, 16 cores each. According to the documentation ni=1, nk=1
> and nt=1. So in which respect are the calculations parallelized by
> default? Why do the calculations scale so well without specifying ni,
> nk, nt, nd?
R and G parallelization is performed.
wavefunctions' planewaves, density planewaves and slices of real space
objects are distributed across 128 processors. A report of how this is
done is given at the beginning of the output.
Did you had a look to it ?

> Second question is, whether one can speed up bands.x calculations. Up
> to now I start these this way:
> mpirun -np 64 bands.x < job.bands
> on 4 nodes, 16 cores each. Does it make sense to define nb for
> bands.x? If yes, what would be reasonable values?
expect no gain. band parallelization is not implemented in bands.

stefano