[Pw_forum] Manual Kpoint Optimization for a Monoclinic lattice structured organic compound

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Fri Dec 4 16:00:05 CET 2015

1) what kind of convergence you haven’t reached yet? a) convergence of structural optimisation (atomic positions), or b) convergence of unit cell optimisation (e.g. if you use calculation=‘vc-relax’), or c) self-consistency cycle

2) if by improving the sampling of the Brillouin zone (2x2x2, 3x3x3, ….) nothing happens, maybe it can be that the parameter that prevents you system from reaching convergence is not the k-point grid!!! Which pseudo potentials do you use, and with which cutoff? For organic crystals, van der Waals interactions might be important as well, have you already tried to switch them on? Are you sure that the input positions are right, for example by visualising your input file with XCrysden (such a practice is advisable BEFORE any, maybe computationally expensive, run is started!)

3) the “acceptable" size of the k-point grid depends on the system under investigation and on the property you are interested in (for a given grid, there are properties that might be converged, and others that might be not!).

4) concerning grids that look like n x m x l instead of n x n x n , usually if for example axes a and b are in the ratio a/b = u, than n and m have the inverse ratio (n/m ~ 1/u). For example: a = b = c, use 4 x 4 x 4 ; a = b, c = 2a, use 4 x 4 x 2 (THIS ARE JUST EXAMPLES, THAT DO NOT PROVIDE CONVERGENCE CRITERIA!).

GIOVANNI