[Pw_forum] Separation between acoustic modes and optical modes

Derek Stewart Derek.Stewart at hgst.com
Sun Aug 2 00:38:44 CEST 2015

Hi Umesh,

If you are interested in sorting overlapping phonon branches so that you can plot them, then you need to sort them at each q point based on the phonon eigenvector like Stefano noted.  You can find this in the output from the matdyn calculation.

Keith Refson developed a script to sort phonon branches and plot them correctly based on eigenvectors for DFPT phonon calculations using CASTEP.  Overrall, it does a very good job.  I wrote a small script that converts the QE output to the CASTEP format.  If you are interested, I can send you a copy of the codes.

Best regards,

Derek

Derek Stewart
Principal Research Scientist