[Pw_forum] Separation between acoustic modes and optical modes

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Aug 1 13:47:48 CEST 2015

Dear Umesh
    I'm not sure I understand your problem.
    if acoustic modes and optical ones have different symmetries (LA and
TO for instance in specific directins) they can overlap in frequency but
still be distinct objects that you can identify by examining the
eigenvectors. If they have the same symmetry (typically no symmetry at
all for a generic q direction in the BZ) they interact and get mixed so
there aren't purely acoustic or purely optical modes any more.

stefano