[Pw_forum] About wavefunction

Robert Hembree hembreerofphysics at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 08:07:18 CEST 2015

Dear Jiqiang Li,

1)      If you compute <psi_i|psi_j> at the same point then the result is
delta_ij. If the bands are different at the same kpoint then you will get
zero for this value.

If you are outputting the wavefunction at <psi_1|psi_2> and getting a
complex number other than 0+0i or some other sufficiently small number I
suspect you are doing it incorrectly. For example when I compute these
values I get a value on the order of 10^-17.

Perhaps if you modified your wavefunction. It should instead read psi_j(k,r)
= sum_G C_j,G(k) exp(-(G+k)*r)) as a plane wave description would generally
require.

If you work it out by hand then the overlap will be <psi_i|psi_j> = sum_G
C*_i,G(k) C_j,G(k)

My suspicion is that you are doing something incorrectly.

2)      In my experience no, not unless you force the Gamma point only
calculation.

I apologize if the notation here doesn't quite work out so well. Writing
equations in text like this does not work well.

Robert Hembree

Quantum Theory project.