[Pw_forum] QE-GPU compilation problems

Uri Argaman argamanu at post.bgu.ac.il
Tue Sep 23 13:05:58 CEST 2014

Hi again Mr. Spiga, thanks for the reply.

I was able to compile with your help. What I did was:

1. configure the main QE 5.1 with --enable-openmp and --disable-parallel.
2. make all the QE 5.1
3. recompile BLAS with -fPIC
4. configure the GPU (from the git master branch) with --enable-openmp
--disable-parallel --enable-cuda --with-gpu-arch=sm_30
--with-cuda-dir=/usr/local/cuda-6.5 --with-phigemm --without-magma
5. and make -f Makefile.gpu all-gpu

When i try to run pw-gpu, ph-gpu or neb-gpu I get the following error:

[vloc_psi_k_cuda_v1.cu:171] Allocation of GPU resources for the plan
failed! Program exits...
Error condition encountered during test: exit status = 1

The cp-gpu is working. I checked during the run with nvidia-smi and it was
using the GPU. Also the samples which come with CUDA work.

Maybe you have an idea about this error.

Thanks in advance and have a nice holiday,

Uri Argaman
Ben-Gurion University
Israel