[Pw_forum] How to show more digits in the results?

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 14:46:39 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

>> For that, you do _not_ need more digits for exactly the reason I gave
>> you. If you output more digits, you are just adding random numbers.
>> Literally.
>
> I suppose in general there could be offset problems with energies and you are adding
> some large fixed amount to a small change of interest. Or, you could want to examine

that would only make matters worse, since in that case you lose
additional digits of precision due to the lower "density" of floating
point numbers at large absolute values.

> the numerical issues.

what would be the point of computing a number with a significantly
large systematic error with extreme numerical precision?
not to mention that only because we treat atom cores as point
particles, we can specify their positions with high precision.

aiming to do accurate calculations is commendable, but one has to put
things into perspective and be able to tell numerical precision from
actual accuracy of the calculation. a lot of calculations we do look
much more precise than what their accuracy is.

axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0