[Pw_forum] TB09 metaGGA

Yves Ferro yves.ferro at univ-amu.fr
Fri Oct 31 10:20:17 CET 2014

Dear Juanjo,

From what I can remember:
- the meta-GGA kinetic terms are not saved in order to restart a nscf, at least up to the 5.0 version,
- the tools for building meta-GGA PPs are not available in QE.
However, I'm not sure using meta-GGA pseudos will solve your problem. Meta-GGA are known to have numerical instabilities such as the ones you met, in particular when then electronic density drop to a very low level as probably in your ionic crystal LiF, on the contrary with Si and C that form covalent structures.

You can have a look to this paper you probably know:
E.R. Johnson, JCP 131, 034111 2009

I don't believe a cure to you problem exists at the moment, except by changing the functional to a GGA one.

Best regards,

Yves
.