[Pw_forum] LDA, PBE and PBEsol and Cohesive energy

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Thu Oct 23 13:40:57 CEST 2014

Dear Elliot,

Problem 1------------
the trend LDA < PBEsol < PBE is typical, so it all looks good.
The two questions are:

1) VERIFICATION: is e.g. my PBE result, done with pseudopotentials,
correct? I
don't know, but once this website is back online
https://molmod.ugent.be/deltacodesdft you could check your PBE
results against Wien2K all electron calculations. Also, read:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.2733

I also don't know. You need to calculate properties, and see which
xc approximation matches experiments better.

Problem 2------------
the energy of a single atom in a unit cell (containing only that atom)
should be the same no matter where you put the atom (you are only
translating an infinite periodic system). So, the force should be
zero no matter where it is. If it's not zero, it should be very tiny,
and for reasons
like not having specified the symmetry of the system, not having converged
very well to the ground state, and because GGAs have some tiny numerical
noise.

In your calculations, though, you use vc-relax - that doesn't make sense,
since you want the unit cell to remain large (and, for the same reason,
you do not need k-point sampling - so use gamma only sampling).

Maybe worth looking at homework 1 and 2 and the first few lectures of:
ocw.mit.edu/3-320S05

				nicola