[Pw_forum] VC-Relax taking too long on a 4-atom system

Elliot Menkah elliotsmenkah at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 18:34:06 CEST 2014

Hello Juanjo,

Thank you for the information.
I've read and made the necessary corrections.

Thanks for the insight.

Kind Regards,
Elliot

On 10/22/2014 02:50 PM, Juanjo Meléndez wrote:
> Hi Elliot
>
> Assuming that you calibrated correctly both cutoff, ecutrho and the ZB
> sampling, I have a few suggestions which could help you:
>
> 1) Are you sure about the value at "celldm(1)" and about your atomic
> positions? Take into account that your are using the {alat} switch, which
> means that you are providing cartesian coordinates in units of the
lattice
> parameter. You should also check the CELL_PARAMETERS card.
>
> 2) Change "nat=1" by "nat=4", because these are the atoms that your unit
> cell actually contains.
>
> 3) Do not use "nosym=.true.", because your system has some symmetries
that
> may simplify the calculations.
>
> 4) Do not use "dipfield" for your calculations. See the input data
> description for an explanation.
>
> Hope these suggestions help you. Additionally, I would not use so many
> cycles (10^6 is a lot!). Convergence should be achieved in less than (or
> about) 100 cycles. If you force a high number of cycles, you will not
> realize whether there is something wrong in your starting model...
>
> Good luck
>
> Juanjo
>

> Juan J. Meléndez
> Associate Professor
> Department of Physics · University of Extremadura
> Avda. de Elvas, s/n 06006 Badajoz (Spain)
> Phone: +34 924 28 96 55
> Fax: +34 924 28 96 51
> Email: melendez at unex.es
> Web: http://materiales.unex.es/miembros/personal/jj-melendez/Index.html

- --
Elliot S. Menkah
Research Student - Computational Chemistry/ Computational Material Science
Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
Dept. of Chemistry
Kwame Nkrumah UNiversity of Sci. and Tech.
Kumasi
Ghana

Tel: +233 243-055-717

Alt Email: elliotsmenkah at gmail.com