[Pw_forum] Convergence of Magnetization in Graphene Monovacancy Supercell

BARRETEAU Cyrille cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Tue Oct 21 19:55:59 CEST 2014

Dear Haricharan Padmanabhan

The magnetization asociated with a vacancy is known to converge very slowly. As you will see in the following detailed study: PHYSICAL REVIEW B 85, 245443 (2012)
the 6x6 supercell in in fact very small... if you want to get your magnetization converged.

2d systems can have some advantages but also some serious drawbacks due to the very slow convergence of certain quantities related to the bi-dimensionality. This is also why tight-binding is very popular in graphene :-)

good luck

Cyrille

Cyrille Barreteau
CEA Saclay, IRAMIS, SPEC Bat. 771
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, FRANCE
DTU Nanotech
Ørsteds Plads, building 345E
DK-2800 Kgs. Lyngby,  DENMARK
+33 1 69 08 29 51 / +33  6 47 53 66 52  (mobile)   (Fr)
+45    45 25 63 12/  +45     28 72 55 18  (mobile)  (Dk)
email:     cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr  /  cyrbar at nanotech.dtu.dk
Web:     http://iramis.cea.fr/Pisp/cyrille.barreteau/