[Pw_forum] LO-TO splitting in complete phonon dispersion using PWSCF

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Thu Nov 20 17:01:53 CET 2014

Dear Kondaiah,
I cannot see the picture you have attached (it looks blank here).
Anyway, the way to tell if a mode is Transverse or Longitudinal is to
have matdyn save the dynamical matrix for a place next to the Gamma
point (e.g. q=[0.01 0. 0.], set the input variable fldyn="filename")

An the end of the dynamical matrix file you have the frequencies and the
atom displacements (3 times number of atoms complex numbers). If the
displacement for every atom is parallel to the q-point, the mode is
Longitudinal; if it is orthogonal, the mode is Transverse. In every
other case it is neither. You can then associated the frequency with the
label.

HTH