[Pw_forum] IFCs and supercell

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Nov 6 18:54:56 CET 2014

dear Alexander,

     the grid correspond to a 8x8x8 supercell (or rather to the FFT of a
8x8x8 q-point grid ... which is the same)

     atomic pairs are specified by the indices of the two atoms in the
unit cell plus the direct lattice vector connecting the two cells in
which they are located with two important details to be considered
     1) the origin is the 1,1,1 element of the list
     2) the IFC are obtained by a FFT from the dynamical matrices of the
q-point grid and are therefore written assuming  8 8 8 periodicity (in
the present case)
      the corresponding relevant real space vectors vectors are
therefore given by
r(i) = (n1-1)*at(i,1)+(n2-1)*at(i,2)+(n3-1)*at(i,3) + their periodic
refolding to points nearest the origin
a few examples should clarify:
      1 1 1  -> r =    0
      2 1 1  -> r =  a1
      8 1 1  -> r = -a1

      the routine weight play the fundamental role of trimming the
vector in such a way the only the points inside the wigner-seitze
cell of the supercell contribute
      weight (r) = 1 if r is inside the WS cell
      weight (r) = 0 if r is ouside the WS cell
      weight (r) = 1/(n+1) if r is on the surface of the WS cell where n
is the number of planes that pass through it

stefano