[Pw_forum] R: Phonons with DFPT and DF2 functional

Carlo Motta MOTTAC at tcd.ie
Wed Nov 5 13:22:32 CET 2014

Hello Florian,

I tried to perform similar calculations some time ago, and found the same problems.
I am not 100% sure, but I think that with ph.x forces are computed without accounting for the dispersion interaction. This would mean that you are basically calculating phonons with a crystal structure that is not at the minimum energy relative to the xc potential you are using (since the relaxation is performed WITH vdW).

I hope that someone says that I am wrong!

Kind regards,
Carlo

--

Carlo Motta

PostDoc Researcher
School of Physics and CRANN,          IE Mob.: +353 (0) 83440 8930
Trinity College Dublin,                          IT Mob: +39 3286845055
Dublin 2, IRELAND
http://www.spincomp.eu/members/carlo-motta.xml