[Pw_forum] TB09 metaGGA

Juanjo Meléndez melendez at unex.es
Mon Nov 3 11:39:53 CET 2014

Dear Pascal

Please, have a look to these couple of papers:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0953-8984/24/20/205503
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cpc.2013.02.020

They point to that Tran-Blaha modification to the Becke-Johnson metaGGA functional may yield quite good bandgaps for insulators (comparable to hybrid functionals) at a much reduced computational cost. The price to pay is that convergence is so tricky, even for simple binary compounds. I am giving them a chance to see if they deserve to be used instead of hybrid functionals.

Thanks for your comments

Juanjo