[Pw_forum] Pseudopotential combination

Elliot Menkah elliotsmenkah at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 15:56:21 CEST 2014

Hello Everyone,

I'm making an adsorption study of carbon monoxide(CO) on pure nickel(Ni)
surfaces.
I use the pseudopotential Ni.pbe-nd-rrkjus.UPF to optimized the pure
nickel system.
Is it wrong to use C.pbe-van_ak.UPF for carbon and O.pbe-van_ak.UPF for
the oxygen rather than using C.pbe-rrkjus.UPF and O.pbe-rrkjus.UPF
When I use the *pbe-van_ak.UPF* to optimize the CO separately, I get an
energy of *-75.5429425135* Ry whereas *pbe-rrkjus.UPF* gives me an
energy of *-75.1901795049* Ry.

In consideration of the energetics and stability, I want to go in for
the pbe-van_ak.UPF for the system of CO on Ni surface. Is it wrong please?

Kind Regards,

Elliot

--
Elliot Sarpong Menkah
Graduate Student - Computational Chemistry / Computational Material Science.

Alt. Email: elliotsmenkah at gmail.com
                 elliotsmenkah at hotmail.com

webpage: http://archive.knust.edu.gh/pages/sections.php?siteid=chemistry&mid=806&sid=2754