[Pw_forum] Two questions on a La2O3 slab: (1) inconsistent energy results; (2) "maximum number of steps has been reached"

noon at seas.ucla.edu noon at seas.ucla.edu
Fri May 9 23:41:28 CEST 2014

Apologies. Beginning user and first time post. My name is Daniel and my
affiliation is University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). Specifically, I
am a Ph.D. candidate in the chemical engineering department at UCLA.

The simulations for the La2O3 slab with a surface O-atom removed are all
identical (same 39 atom cell, same pseudopotentials, etc), except for
differing in one or more of the following: degauss, etot_conv_thr,
forc_conv_thr, mixing_ndim, upscale. The final energy results can vary
widely, like between -8330 Ry to -8360 Ry, far too large of a distribution
for the purposes the results are being used for. No such phenomenon happens
when that O-atom is kept intact, energies consistent to within about 0.5
Ry. I get the "maximum number of steps reached" issue (possibly non-issue?)
on all my simulations, O-atom intact or removed.

I have a sample input file attached (converted from UNIX text to text
format viewable in Windows). Output file was too big; not sure what samples
to take from it that would help aside from previous general descriptions of
what's going on.

Thanks for any help you may have to offer.

--
Daniel Noon
UCLA Chemical and Biomolecular engineering