[Pw_forum] Matlab call pw.x

Sclauzero Gabriele gabriele.sclauzero at mat.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 11 18:44:46 CET 2014

Dear Lijuan,

   Please try to explain better your problem. What does it happen when you run that command within Matlab? Do you get an error message? Nothing happens? ...?
I don't think the problem is mpi, the code should work anyway on one processor. It works on my Ubuntu desktop with QE 5.0.3 and Matlab R2011b.

I would suggest to write the full path, rather than using "~".

HTH

GS

Dear Filipe,

Thanks. I do have mpi installed. But I still cannot use Matlab to call pw.x directly. Instead I use Matlab to submit the job file. It works now. But the thing is that I need to make Matlab wait till the job finish.

Best,
Lijuan He
PhD student in Georgia Tech

Do you have mpi installed in machine?

type it in terminal:

locate mpirun

it should give you something like:

/usr/local/openmpi/bin/mpirun
/usr/local/openmpi/share/man/man1/mpirun.1

Regardless your linux provides a mpirun by default, I suggest you to install it by yourself:

http://www.open-mpi.org/

You'll have more control over the settings.

I.M.H.O.: you should use the matlab to write files you need, then run the job in terminal.

Best,

Dr. Gabriele Sclauzero
Materials Theory - ETHZ
ETH Zurich, HIT G 43.2