[Pw_forum] A "relax" input runs on CPU (pw.x) but not on CPU-GPU (pw-gpu.x)

Reza Behjatmanesh-Ardakani reza_b_m_a at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 10:20:19 CEST 2014

Dear Axel
This was just a proposal. If I am right, Terachem code can use gaming cards for GPU calculations (I saw some of its authors' papers).
As you know, the main problem of GTX cards comes back to two important things. One, single precision, and the other lack of ECC.

It is not necessary to write a stand alone code. We can test the QE-GPU with both TESLA and/or GTX and QE (cpu only), and compare the outputs.
I tested it for only one case (rutile 3*3*2 supercell), and saw that the GTX output is similar to the CPU one.

However, It is needed to test for different cases and different clusters to be sure that the lack of ECC and double precision has no effect on results.

As Filippo said formerly for GTX cards, the output may be not reproducible. However, I think due to the nature of SCF algorithm, the code can be used at least
for VC-RELAX, RELAX, and SCF types of calculations with GTX cards. Of course, it should be tested. Thank you for your interest.

With the Best Regards

   Reza Behjatmanesh-Ardakani
   Associate Professor of Physical Chemistry
   Address:
   Department of Chemistry,
   School of Science,
   Payame Noor University (PNU),