[Pw_forum] how to judge movement of HOMO and LUMO

"José C. Conesa" jcconesa at icp.csic.es
Wed Jun 4 16:00:34 CEST 2014

Dear Rajdeep Banerjee,
In a recent paper of mine (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp306160c) I used
the van de Walle & Martin's scheme, later used by Pasquarello, to
compute the band alignment at ZnO/TiO2(anatase) interfaces. The purely
electrostatic (ionic + Hartree) potential was used as reference. At
least the results agreed with experimental observations from Grätzel's
group on certain DSSCs. What I would stress here is that one should pay
attention also (as I did in that work) to the need of obtaining as
reliable VB and CB positions as possible - which implies at least a good
reproduction of the bandgap, a well known issue. A way to do so, without
having to carry out rather expensive GW calculations, may be to use a
PBE0 hybrid functional with the fraction of HF exchange tuned to the
optical dielectric constant (a suggestion by Lucia Reining's group); see
the mentioned paper as well as
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2012.08.039 for details and references.
Good luck,
José Carlos