[Pw_forum] how to judge movement of HOMO and LUMO

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Tue Jun 3 20:25:45 CEST 2014

Dear Rajdeep,

do note that the change in the quantities CBM or VBM as you write them
below as a function of strain would not give the physical change in
CBM or VBM - as you strain the crystal, the change in CBM and VBM below
would include the physical electrostatic term, but I think they
also include an unphysical strain-dependent term that depends
on to the way the the  divergent Ewald sums that are implicitly set to
zero change as a function of strain.

This contribution might be small, but I really don't know - it's a
subtle problem, and you should really become familiar with e.g. the
calculation of work functions is done (that do not need these
subtleties) and with the theory of flexoelectricity.

				nicola