[Pw_forum] how to judge movement of HOMO and LUMO

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Sun Jun 1 15:59:25 CEST 2014

Dear Rajdeep,

good question, and I'd be intrigued to know the answer.

First thing that comes to mind would be to do a reverse process
to what is used to calculate the work function.

1) in the bulk calculation, calculate both the VBM and the CBM,
and refer it to the planar average of the Hartree potential (a lot
of details here: http://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/32432, see fulltext
link, or in our 2009 PRB). This way, you know where the bands sit with
respect to another well defined (but still relative) bulk quantity.

2) now you need to determine where the average of the Hartree sits with
respect to the vacuum level - you look at a thick slab (appropriately
strained, to match uniaxial or biaxial strain above) and see where the
Hartree sits with respect to the vacuum level. This would still have
the problem that the different between Hartree and vacuum would be
affected by the surface (termination, resconstruction). But I guess
that is the case also in ARPES data - so I wonder if you really need
to go through all this process (I still think so, because as you
strain the crystal, the change you see in the VBM or CBM could be
in part physical, in part computational, due to the lack of an
absolute reference).

If anyone has more experience in this, they'd be very welcome!

				nicola