[Pw_forum] k-points for optical properties

Eduardo Menendez eariel99 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 00:02:30 CEST 2014

Dear Paolo,
Thanks for your response. Yes, tetrahedra should work, but for large unit
cells  (108 atoms) I have problems because to obtain reasonable results the
k-mesh must be somewhat dense and I have a problem where the wfc occupy
more terabytes than allowed by the computer systems. I think I can combine
a coarse Monkhorst-Pack mesh with a dense mesh, but I have doubts on how to
set the weights at the interfaces between the coarse and the dense mesh. I
guess I should read on self-adaptative integration algorithms. Doing that,
I think I can run epsilon.x with with groups of few k-points and add the
dielectric functions obtained for each set.

>> Is there any available tool or method to generate non-uniform k-point
>> grids (and weights) useful to sample the van-Hove singularities in the
>> DOS or the joint DOS for calculations of dielectric function?

>not that I know. If however the goal is to obtain correct van Hove
>singularities, with tetrahedra you should obtain them.

Best regards,
Eduardo
Eduardo Menendez Proupin
Departamento de Fisica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile

  “Science may be described as the art of systematic oversimplification.”
Karl Popper