[Pw_forum] single atom calculations

Arles V. Gil Rebaza arvifis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 00:28:44 CEST 2014

Dear Adib

Is it possible to use Quantum Espresso to calculate the properties of a
single atom from a certain element?

yes

It is my understanding that periodic boundary conditions need to be
imposed.

Would it be possible to create a sufficiently large unit cell containing a
single atom of the desired element?

Yes, you must to use an enough big cubic cell, and may be you should read
the tag "assume_isolated" in the  QE manual.

Best

PhD. Arles V. Gil Rebaza

IFLP - Argentina