[Pw_forum] How to set Occupation to Calculate Grapgene DOS?

Li, Run run.li at my.und.edu
Thu Jan 23 20:09:12 CET 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to calculate the DOS of graphene, but no matter what functional and pseudopotential I use, I keep getting DOS=0 about 1.4eV around Fermi level , even though the bands calculation can get the Dirac point at K point, showing the conduction band is touching the valence bands, so graphene is a semi-metal.  I used occupation=tetrahedra in the nscf calculation to calculate DOS, while occupation=smearing to calculate bands. Should I use occupation= smearing instead? How do I get a reasonable DOS? (I used a super-cell with one layer of graphene in the bottom, and enough vacuum. I hope that's not a problem)

Thanks,

Rain
Department of Chemistry
University of North Dakota