[Pw_forum] Slab optimization with -24kbar stress!!!

David Foster davidfoster751 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 16:36:17 CET 2014

Dear Cyrille, Nicola, and Serge
Thanks for your helps.
My main problem comes back to the computational method section in scholarly papers.
In adsorption of molecules on surfaces, authors say that they cleave a surface from fully optimized (vc-relax) unit cell, enlarge it 2*2 or
3*3 times in u and v directions, and then define 15-20 angstrom vacuum in the z direction.
Then all of them take 2-4 bottom layers fixed to represent bulk, and only relax (and not vc-relax) other atoms containing
adsorbed molecule.
If I do according to the published works, I get large stress, as it was discussed in previous long discussion.
If I do according to Nicola's advice, the stress eventually reduces, but the bottom layers positions will not be the bulk ones.
Which one is correct?
Serge, maybe in the links you have provided this issue has been addressed. I will read them.

Regards

David Foster

Ph.D. Student of Chemistry