[Pw_forum] Slab optimization with -24kbar stress!!!

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Fri Dec 5 12:01:31 CET 2014

Dear David,

I think I was thinking at the problem from a "mathematical" point of view,
but Cyrille's point of view is more appropriate.

I.e., the in plane lattice constant should be the one of the bulk solid -
if you use that, as Cyrille said, you will not have zero stress in the
x-y plane.
But you can relax in the x-y plane, and then get zero stress. These two
approaches
converge to the same thing for a very thick slab; for a thin slab, the
results will
be slightly different, and the question is which one converges faster to
the the
thick slab limit (I don't know).

Re my last comment, it had to do with the fact that constraining atoms
has in itself
an effect on the stress, and so you need to consider that.

Of course, in practive your numbers are very small, so this is more of a
conceptual
discussion.

Before discussing further, try out a few calculations on very simple and
inexpensive systems
that you can study with few atoms, small cutoffs, thin slabs, and
experiment.

				nicola