[Pw_forum] SATA vs SAS

Carlo Nervi carlo.nervi at unito.it
Thu Aug 7 14:48:32 CEST 2014

I completely agree with Axel, expecially speaking about a middle-range
machine (as mine, for example, a linux home-assembled server with a careful
look at the costs).

Carlo

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 6:56 AM, siddheshwar chopra <sidhusai at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear Sir,
> > Oh I am sorry... I think I didn't mention correctly.. I said "write
> times"..
> > It is actually "number of write times". Ofcourse these are very fast..But
> > their life is shorter than the normal HDDs...
> > Yes budget is what is the final verdict.. :-)
>
> not only that. but also, how much time you save, i.e. how much value
> you attribute to your own time.
> if an SSD will wear out and become unusable, you can easily replace it
> at the fraction of the cost of the entire machine, and then - provided
> an SSD scratch does significantly improve your calculation run times -
> you have a faster machine all the time.
>
> please also note that SSD performance varies a lot and also the amount
> of guaranteed writes.
>
> axel.
>

> > Regards,
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Carlo Nervi <carlo.nervi at unito.it>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not an expert, and maybe my infos are old, but I think you are
> wrong.
> >> Certain SSD have degraded performances, however the best SSD have much
> >> faster access I/O time than than the best HDD. at least for medium
> >> workstation. Cost for Gb is of course much higher for SSD, but in this
> case
> >> I would go only for a working directory to be placed on a SSD partition
> (128
> >> Gb could be enough). I do not know how is the situation for high-end
> >> enterprise solutions or supercomputers, but in this case i suspect that
> the
> >> special HDDs are not connected via simple SATA or SAS, and in these
> cases
> >> very probably they are much faster (again at much hgher prices) due
> several
> >> optimized performances (independent memory cache, for example).
> >>
> >> In other words, it depend how much is your budget...
> >> Cheers,
> >>  Carlo

> that
> shorter

> would

> >:

> >> --

> > --
> > Dr. Siddheshwar chopra,
> > M.Sc., Ph.D (Physics)
> > Assistant Professor (Physics),
> > Amity University, Noida, India.

> Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0

Prof. Carlo Nervi carlo.nervi at unito.it  Tel:+39 0116707507/8
Fax: +39 0116707855      -      Dipartimento di Chimica, via
P. Giuria 7, 10125 Torino, Italy.    http://lem.ch.unito.it/