[Pw_forum] tpss: too many bands are not converged

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:10:34 CEST 2014

> From: paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
> To: pw_forum at pwscf.org
> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 03:42:06 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] tpss: too many bands are not converged
>
> On Thu, 2014-04-24 at 09:03 -0400, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>
>> By free volume, you mean places where n and likely grad everything are numerical noise?
>
> exactly: the regions of space where the charge has decayed to noise.
> Apparently (the current implementation of) meta-GGA doesn't like the
> presence of such large regions (and it doesn't seem to like H atoms
> as well). Even plain GGA diverges in those regions: it is less of a
> problem, but still, the exact energy values depend upon how the

Does it actually diverge or just reach some kind of limit cycle with
amplitude in energy greater than convergence criteria?

> potential is cut off. The divergence comes from gradient corrections
> to exchange: there is no divergence in atoms with the correct large-r

so this is related to PP and lack of exponential decay giving more weight
to "free volume" than it should physically have? I had been doing some
tests with analytical hydrogen since it was easy to check :) That is not noise
alone then but a modelling issue.

> limit of the charge density, but this is not of much help in plane-wave
> calculations of condensed-matter systems.

Molecular crystals better or worse than say metals?

>From what I can tell of the TPSS "z" anyway, trying to calculate it
as a ratio of intermediate real quantities seems to allow for many errors
such as aliasing that may occur by taking magnitudes.  I did some
algebra it looks like the magnitude of the grad of the wf angle is more direct but I have
not checked the math or tested it much although IIRC some related results
vs analytical hydrogen did not appear obviously wrong but this was hardly a complete test.

> (disclaimer: this is what I remember. I looked at this problem several
> years ago for meta-GGA, many years ago for GGA)

Thanks, I'm just trying to understand a few things and see if I can play with
the problematic terms and evaluate some alternatives.