[Pw_forum] The relax problem

Filipe Camargo Dalmatti Alves Lima flima at if.usp.br
Wed Apr 23 04:59:23 CEST 2014

By looking at the total forces. There is a part in the output that will
show the forces on the atoms and the total force of the system.

You can grep the output using this command: cat $youroutput | grep "total
force" (or something like that, I don't remember the captcha exactly). This
number should decrease along the time. If the total force reach the
threshold condition, the calculation will stop. Otherwise it can also stop
after lots of tries and it will complain saying that the convergence didn't
achieved the mininum.

For further info, the criteria for the force can be seen below:

*etot_conv_thr* REAL
Default: 1.0D-4
convergence threshold on total energy (a.u) for ionic
minimization: the convergence criterion is satisfied
when the total energy changes less than etot_conv_thr
between two consecutive scf steps. Note that etot_conv_thr
is extensive, like the total energy.
See also forc_conv_thr - both criteria must be satisfied

*forc_conv_thr* REAL
Default: 1.0D-3
convergence threshold on forces (a.u) for ionic minimization:
the convergence criterion is satisfied when all components of
all forces are smaller than forc_conv_thr.
See also etot_conv_thr (note that the latter is extensive,
forc_conv_thr is not) - both criteria must be satisfied

source:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#id3119460

Regards,

Filipe

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM, yjunwei2012 <yjunwei2012 at 163.com> wrote:

>  Dear manchugh,
>     Thank you for your reply! I still have some problems and need your
> help. When we relax the system, how can we judge the relax result is
> successful or fail? and is there have some big different aspects between
> relax and vc-relax? Thank you again!
>
> Best wishes!
> JWY
>

> 2014-04-23
>  yjunwei2012

Filipe Camargo Dalmatti Alves Lima
PhD Student
University of São Paulo, Physics Institute, Materials Physics Department,
Nanomol Group, Brazil.
Phones:    (11) 3091-6881  (USP)
                (11) 97408-2755 (Vivo)