[Pw_forum] metal optimization tricks and constraining in slab

David Foster davidfoster751 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 04:08:28 CEST 2014

Thank you Paolo and Axel

I would appreciate it if anybody could guide me about my questions.

Regards

David Foster

Ph.D. Student of Chemistry

 Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] metal optimization tricks and constraining in slab
 To: "PWSCF Forum" <pw_forum at pwscf.org>
 Date: Friday, April 11, 2014, 12:16 PM

 On Fri, 2014-04-11 at 09:36 -0700,
 David Foster wrote:

 > I have emailed this message two times former (...) but

 > I didn't received them in my mail box, so, I think it
 > has not been sent to any member.

 think twice ... I received both

 P.

 > I repeat it again, and sorry for inconvenience.
 >

 > Dear Users and supporters
 >
 > "....Thank you for your quick answers...."
 >
 > I have two questions:
 >
 > 1- I prepared 3*3*3 bulk Pd super-cell, and used
 "vc-relax". The relaxation needed

 >    more than 200 iteration. I finally relaxed
 it with restarting command. Please help

 >    me in setting following parameters for
 fast relaxation for metals:

 >    a- degauss (I think increasing it helps
 for fast coarse optimization, but after it

 >       needs more fine
 optimization.
 >       with increasing it, does
 it need more "nbnd"?)

 >    b-mixing beta ( in my calculation, I set
 it to 0.3, but I got very fluctuation in optimization.

 >      does increasing it helps
 optimization speed?)

 >   c- I prepared input by a program that
 saves the structure in cif format. I used the coordination

 >      with "crystal" card. is it true?
 >
 > 2- I prepared 5 layers Pd slab and should fix two
 layers' coordination, but I don't know how.
 >     I read input style help but
 confused.

 > Thanks again
 >

 > Regards
 >
 > David Foster
 >
 > Ph.D. Student of Chemistry

 Paolo Giannozzi, Dept.
 Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
 Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222