[Pw_forum] Question about GGA+U in DFPT

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 15:18:38 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Suza W <suza.rri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Jiawei,
>
> Unfortunately, DFPT+U is not in public domain since 2009.

please be *very* careful with statements like this. "public domain" is
something very different from "open source", which in turn is
different from the "GNU public license" and which in turn is different
from "published".

there also is the difference between what kind of data (including
source code) the scientific community requires to make published work
reproducible and what you are obliged to.

also, there is often a confusion about what copyright and a license means.
it is very easy to misstate something and to give people a wrong impression.

"public domain" means that somebody 'abandons' a piece of text (or
code) and lets anybody do with it whatever they want.

code under the GPL is *not* that. it is still copyrighted material and
the author of a piece of code "owns" it. but the GPL allows anybody to
take GPL'd code and use it (personally) in whatever way they want to
use it. the GPL only becomes important if somebody _redistributes_ the
software (be it as source code or as executable and it doesn't
matter(!) whether it is for a fee or not). at that point, it is
required to always include modifications and extensions as source code
and not limit the use in any way beyond the limitations imposed by the
GPL. the GPL itself does not require publication of any extensions or
modifications *unless* those modifications are redistributed.

axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0