[Pw_forum] Can I use resluts of gamma point to calculate the phonon dispersion curve?

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Sep 24 13:27:30 CEST 2013

in order to generate interatomic force constants that then give you
phonon dispersions you need to compute dynamical matrices for a grid of
q points (1d grid in your case i would say). gamma is a point always
present in the grid so you can reuse its data.
how many additional points you need to add depends on how far the
interatomic force constants extend and how large is your system.
for large systems even just gamma might be enough (need to be tested)
stefano