[Pw_forum] variable cell MD target pressure

Davide Ceresoli davide.ceresoli at istm.cnr.it
Wed Oct 23 14:10:45 CEST 2013

Dear Luis,
     I'm the culprit who coded output of the kinetic stress, but
without adding it to the total stress. Are you sure it is added
to the total stress?

The issue is that it is not clear whether the "Ion kinetic term"
should be there. In my opinion it should be added to the total stress,
as it is done in classical MD and in the CPV code.

However, I tried to perform NVT MD runs of a liquid metal at different
volumes, and to compare by d^2<E>/dV^2 with the average stress computed
with and without the ions kinetic term. Unfortunately results were
inconclusive.

Therefore, in order not to break the behavior of the code, I decided to
print it, without summing it to the total stress.

Comments on this topic are very welcome.

Best,
     Davide